11/16/2008

Lesson 4: Look beyond your circumstances

I am almost done with the book about Trials, but I am pretty behind in posting my notes. Today I will post lesson 4: Look beyond your circumstances.

One thing I would like to comment before I do, is that I don't want anyone to think that I am posting this because I am trying to preach to you, or that I think I am miss godly and I know what I am saying. I am just sharing because this is something God is dealing with me right now, and although I haven't "mastered" it, thought could be a blessing to some of you as it is to me..

Lesson 4: Look beyond your circumstances

James 1:2 tells us that we have to have joy when we are in the midst of trials. Why would God ask us for such a thing?
First we have to remember that God promises us that He will be with us.
Isa 43:2 When thou passest through the waters, I will be with thee; and through the rivers, they shall not overflow thee: when thou walkest through the fire, thou shalt not be burned; neither shall the flame kindle upon thee.
So we need to make sure to remember that if we feel lonely it is not because God has left us. He is with us, holding our hands… if we let Him.
Trials are coming. It is not like we can go through life trying to evade them. What we do have an option with is how we are going to go through them.
It is not easy to be full of joy when the person we love is sick, or when our world seems to be falling under us. But we have to understand that as these things happen, God wants us to evaluate them and find the benefit that they can bring to our lives. And believe me, there is always something to learn.
If we read the book of James, we will see much about trials that will help us greatly. In 1:3,4 we see how trials increase our faith, it gives us patience and it also perfects us. Little by little it helps us to be more like Jesus. As fire does with gold, trials help bring out impurities and take them away and makes us pure.
1Pe 1:7 That the trial of your faith, being much more precious than of gold that perisheth, though it be tried with fire, might be found unto praise and honor and glory at the appearing of Jesus Christ.

So, what does it have to change in our lives that we may see trials as a way to perfect us, as precious gifts that will richen our lives? Our faith and trust in God has to increase.
In reality, the things that have been more difficult to handle for us in our lives, are the ones that have been the best in us. Pain never leaves us and it finds us; either it gets us closer to God, or it separates us from Him.
Right after God tells us to be joyful in trials, he tells us that we need to ask for His wisdom. Why? Because that wisdom will help us to understand trials and what he is trying to do with our lives through them. But many times we forget about him because we are too worried looking at our own circumstances and trying to find a solution in our own strength. This is why we fall in sin or discouragement.
So, we know trials will come but we don’t know when. How can we prepare for them?
1.- Psa 62:5 My soul, wait thou only upon God; for my expectation is from Him
2.- Psa 91:1-2 He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. I will say of the LORD, He is my refuge and my fortress: my God; in him will I trust



No comments: