11/10/2008

Trials- Lesson 3

Since I started sharing my notes about the devotional booklet from Juanita Purcell, I will keep posting them. I hope you don't think I am trying to "preach" to you. It is just that writting them helps me soak them better, and maybe they would be a blessing to someone else.

Lesson 3: God allows trials for our correction

Heb 12:11 Now no chastening for the present seemeth to be joyous, but grievous: nevertheless afterward it yieldeth the peaceable fruit of righteousness unto them which are exercised thereby.

I think to discipline my sweet little girls was the hardest thing I had to learn as a mother. My girls are so cute, and so good, and they smile so pretty, that to think on disciplining them, knowing that they would cry…. It just broke my heart. I knew it would hurt them and make them cry. But I love them and I want them to learn to be obedient. I want them to know that there are limits, and that those limits are to be respected. Why? Am I just a mean mom that wants to make sure that my girls don’t have any fun? Do I do it because I like the feeling of knowing that I can exercise power over someone? No!!! Why do I discipline my kids? I do it because I love them, and I want the best for them. I want them to grow up to be godly girls. I want them to grow up!! You don’t let your kid play with an electric outlet, do you?
Well, I am not as sweet, and wonderful as my girls are. And I sure don’t smile as pretty as they do. But still my Heavenly Father loves me and He wants the best for me.

Heb 12:6 For whom the Lord loveth he chasteneth, and scourgeth every son whom he receiveth.
Heb 12:7 If ye endure chastening, God dealeth with you as with sons; for what son is he whom the father chasteneth not?


God’s correction sometimes is hard. Jonah run from God and he was swallow by a big fish. Knowing that God will correct us if we sin should be enough to keep us from sinning. Still, we do it because we have an old nature that wants what feels good, the earthly things. I think about Paul when he said that the things that he doesn’t want to do, are the things that he does; and those things that he wants to do he doesn’t. What a fight!

Good news? God is waiting for us to ask for His forgiveness.
Mic 7:18 Who is a God like unto thee, that pardoneth iniquity, and passeth by the transgression of the remnant of his heritage? he retaineth not his anger forever, because he delighteth in mercy.

The important thing is that when trials come because of correction, because we have sinned, we won’t harden our hearts, but that we may be soft to God’s voice.

5 comments:

Stonefox said...

Pilar, you are a blessing. I can't tell you how encouraged I am to read your posts, especially after your comment on my blog. I am remembering you about the situation. Please keep me posted. You are in His hands, friend! No matter what, you are His beloved child, just like you wrote here about your own girls. Stand strong, we are lifting you up.

Freda Lee said...

While we all go through trials, sometimes it is harder to just keep your head up. This year has been the worst for me as far as dealing with issues, but God has never let me down. Of course, now I want to find that book of yours so I can start my own devotional time with it!
Keep preaching it, girl!

Unknown said...

It is tough to discipline. And i couldn´t imagine having to discipline your beautiful babies. Kayla just gets me all teary eyed how sensitive she is. :) Now I need to pray not to be too hard on my boys sometimes. jeje. NO really though, I truly pray for God´s sense of discipline because really we are our children´s first perspective of what God is like. Also am praying for you. Keeping it between me and God. :)

Nina in Portugal said...

Well, hello neighbor!! It's nice to 'meet' you! I've enjoyed looking around your blog for a bit. You have a beautiful family. I'll 'follow' your blog, so I'll be back soon...and I too look forward to getting to know you and your family. God Bless You as you labor for Him!---oh, by the way, and I don't mean to sound petty, but you have Noah in the belly of the big fish, instead of Jonah...we've all done it!

Pilar said...

What!!! Do you mean that the whale didn't swallow Noah??? That is what my spanish Bible says.... hahahaha sorry gals. I do know my Bible stories.... one can't be perfect all the time ;). heheheh... wow...